[Talk-GB] Tagging post towns and other addressing issues in the UK

Richard Fairhurst richard at systemed.net
Mon Jan 28 15:06:10 UTC 2019

Colin Smale wrote:
> As you will know RM have their own particular ideas of the
> geography of the UK, all done for their own convenience. It
> would certainly avoid some confusion if we used addr:posttown
> instead of addr:city.

Fully agree.

The notion that I should tag addresses in Charlbury with "addr:city=Chipping
Norton", a town 6 miles away, just because one private delivery operator[1]
uses Chipping Norton as an optional part of their addressing is... one of
the more outlandish ideas I've heard in OSM tagging circles, and that's
saying a lot.

Richard

[1] https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-34514024

--