[Talk-GB] Tagging post towns and other addressing issues in the UK

Will Phillips wp4587 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 28 16:08:11 UTC 2019

> Having said that, I still don't understand the objections to addr:town
> and addr:village. Can anyone come up with an example of an address
> where they wouldn't work? I normally don't care about names but
> locality sounds almost offensive.
To me 'locality' just sounds neutral. I don't particularly object to
addr:town and addr:village, but it does mean we end up with at least
three tags rather than one, because in cities suburbs often don't fit
easily into those tags, hence the use of addr:suburb.

> Business parks and other campuses are not localities - their names are
> written before street names, not after them.
In my experience this often isn't true, perhaps look at more examples.
It is relatively common for business park and industrial estate names to
appear after street names.

Examples:
Lenton Lane Industrial Estate, Nottingham
http://osm-nottingham.org.uk/?z=16&lon=-1.17632&lat=52.93295&bgl=OSM,1,15&s=%22Lenton%20Lane%20Industrial%20Estate%22&st=SearchOpendataJson&uc=1

Trent Lane Industrial Estate, Castle Donington
http://osm-nottingham.org.uk/?z=16&lon=-1.34152&lat=52.85018&bgl=OSM,1,15&s=%22Trent%20Lane%20Industrial%20Estate%22&st=SearchOpendataJson&uc=1

Sherwood [Business] Park, Annesley,
http://osm-nottingham.org.uk/?z=16&lon=-1.25353&lat=53.07037&bgl=OSM,1,15&s=%22Sherwood%20Park%22&st=SearchOpendataJson&uc=1

Regards,