[Talk-GB] Tagging post towns and other addressing issues in the UK

Will Phillips wp4587 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 28 18:24:28 UTC 2019

On 28/01/2019 17:28, Lester Caine wrote:
> The reality is that for the UK ALL we need is the Postcode to supply a
> reference to the Royal Mail 'postal address' as that is purely a Royal
> Mail invention anyway.  I personally don't see the need to add
> 'addr:street' everywhere but that is what people seem to prefer.
> Adding several more addr: fields to EVERY building is just taking
> things too far?

There are certainly occasions when the street name is needed. For
example, I recently surveyed a single postcode (DE72 2HP) containing two
houses with the same house name, but different street names.  Postcodes
do sometimes cover two streets in rural areas. In these cases one might
technically be a subsidiary street, but it's often not obvious which one.

More generally, if we only included the postcode surely there would
often be no way to discover the correct street without referring to
closed proprietary data, and a key motivation for adding addresses to
OSM is to avoid that.