[Talk-GB] Tagging post towns and other addressing issues in the UK

Lester Caine lester at lsces.co.uk
Mon Jan 28 18:50:44 UTC 2019

On 28/01/2019 18:24, Will Phillips wrote:
> On 28/01/2019 17:28, Lester Caine wrote:
>> The reality is that for the UK ALL we need is the Postcode to supply a
>> reference to the Royal Mail 'postal address' as that is purely a Royal
>> Mail invention anyway.  I personally don't see the need to add
>> 'addr:street' everywhere but that is what people seem to prefer.
>> Adding several more addr: fields to EVERY building is just taking
>> things too far?
>
> There are certainly occasions when the street name is needed. For
> example, I recently surveyed a single postcode (DE72 2HP) containing two
> houses with the same house name, but different street names.  Postcodes
> do sometimes cover two streets in rural areas. In these cases one might
> technically be a subsidiary street, but it's often not obvious which one.

One could say that DE72 2HP is breaking Royal Mail's own rules, but it
is a rare exception to the rule, and often you find the street is
actually the secondary build reference rather than the street in the raw
data.

> More generally, if we only included the postcode surely there would
> often be no way to discover the correct street without referring to
> closed proprietary data, and a key motivation for adding addresses to
> OSM is to avoid that.

I'm still of a camp that prefers a proper relational dataset rather than
'flat file'. There is no reason we can't have tables of open source data
that we reference and a single copy of the details.

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL