[Talk-GB] Tagging post towns and other addressing issues in the UK

Chris Hill osm at raggedred.net
Mon Jan 28 21:22:03 UTC 2019

Post town do not exist, and never have. They are a fiction invented by
Royal Mail for their own internal use which they persuaded the public
into using for the sole benefit of Royal Mail.

A postal town was simply a place where there was a sorting office for
distributing the post to surrounding areas. These are increasingly being
closed. RM's postal town for my village was the next door village,
perfectly nice place but it has nothing to do with my village's address.
That post office and sorting office has now closed and the sorting
process has mover to a town nearby, but my postal town hasn't changed.
That's because RM don't use postal towns any more but because they are
next to useless at maintaining the PAF they are still included in it.
They took nearly twenty years to remove the counties they invented (
North Humberside never existed except in RM's fairy land), so I expect
it will take a long time to remove the broken postal towns too.

Addresses are not maintained by RM, local authorities are responsible
for addresses (which obviously don't include postal towns), except for
the postcode. Most LAs have a system to request a new postcode from RM
when a planning application gets approved that will need a new postcode.

I don't see what purpose adding post towns to OSM would serve. The ONLY
people who ever used it were Royal Mail as they were the only
organisation to have a sorting office there. I'm sure RM don't need OSM
to make deliveries, so who would we be benefiting by including this? To
anyone else looking for an address the postal town is just confusing.

--
cheers
Chris Hill (chillly)