[Talk-GB] Tagging post towns and other addressing issues in the UK

Richard Fairhurst richard at systemed.net
Mon Jan 28 22:05:03 UTC 2019

I'm not quite sure what you've done with the quoting but you've attributed me
as writing your reply, which evidently I didn't. :)

Will Phillips wrote:
> I really don't see what is outlandish about using post towns as a
> guide for what goes in the addr:city tag. Royal Mail might be becoming
> less important, but when most people are asked for their address, they
> will give their address as defined by Royal Mail.
>
> Looking at the Companies House Registered Companies data for
> Charlbury, I find 235 addresses of which 170 include Chipping Norton.
> I find Registered Companies data useful because the addresses appear
> unvalidated and therefore show addresses as people actually enter them.

No-one in Charlbury describes themselves as living in Chipping Norton.
Honestly, no-one. It's a separate town.

Companies House data for my company shows a registered address of 11 Market
Street, Charlbury, Chipping Norton. That is not because I think I live in
Chipping Norton. That is because, when you register a company, the Companies
House autocomplete thing takes your postcode and fills in the Royal Mail
post-town and other details from PAF.

(TBH, I'm not entirely convinced post towns help Royal Mail in any case,
given the amount of mail mistakenly delivered to us that is actually meant
for Mr G------- at 11 Market Street, Chipping Norton...)

Richard

--
Sent from: http://gis.19327.n8.nabble.com/Great-Britain-f5372682.html