[Talk-GB] Checking UK Towns

SK53 sk53.osm at gmail.com
Wed Jan 30 15:49:09 UTC 2019

A few points:

* I believe you should complete the relevant
<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Organised_Editing/Activities>
organised edit page on the wiki.
* I think any use of admin_level=11 or indeed any use of admin_level at all
for un-parished areas needed to be discussed up front. Places like
Mansfield, Maidenhead etc  simply do not exist as administrative entities.
To represent them as such is erroneous.
* In the case of the two Ashfields and Mablethorpe/Sutton-on-the-Sea there
is a single unparished area so how can someone verify the boundary?
* Saxilby ought to be a village
* Sutton-on-the-Sea probably ought to be a village; not sure about
Mablethorpe.
* Banstead as a town is rather marginal. Unlike Epsom and Ewell which were
towns before London grew, Banstead is more a London exurb. I'd guess
village or suburb may be just as appropriate.
* I'd have anticipated Dorking's W boundary to be pretty much follow the
line of the former Urban District which wiggles about more than the one you
mapped.
* I don't think place=town should be duplicated on the node and the
relation, one or the other (it makes for awkward processing for what should
be very simple queries: how many towns in East Anglia?). I do realise that
associating a town with a boundary is the objective, but I believe there
should be a way which doesn't break "one feature one element".

Regards,

Jerry