[Talk-GB] Checking UK Towns

Tom Hughes tom at compton.nu
Wed Jan 30 16:00:56 UTC 2019

On 30/01/2019 15:08, Gregory Marler wrote:

> A small amount of my time has been funded by Open Cage Data to check
> towns in the UK. Ideally it should be possible to get a town as both a
> node and a relation.

The fundamental problem with this, as Jerry has just said, is that
many towns in the UK have no defined boundary.

Even where there is an administrative entity there is no guarantee
that it's boundary equates to what most people would view as the
boundary of the town - it may under or overstate things.

Equally there is no clear way of even determining what is, or is
not, a town. Just a variety of rules-of-thumb...

This has all been discussed a number of times before ;-)

If you want a challenge look at my local area - it's unparished
so the smallest administrative unit is the district council:

Looking at the builtup area on the right hand side along the Lea
Valley how many places are there, what are their boundaries, and
what type is each of them ;-)

Hilariously in doing that I've just noticed a town (well that's
what wikipedia says it is anyway) that is completely missing
from OpenStreetMap... Waltham Cross should be somewhere below
Cheshunt and west of Waltham Abbey.

Tom

--
Tom Hughes (tom at compton.nu)