[Talk-GB] Tagging post towns and other addressing issues in the UK

Will Phillips wp4587 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 30 23:18:33 UTC 2019

Hi Andrzej,

I feel a bit conflicted here. Having the choice of several tags does
make things easier when adding complicated addresses, but for less
experienced mappers it does also help if things are kept simple. For
example, if better guidance regarding UK address mapping was added to
the wiki, it would definitely be clearer to recommend one main tag for
places below city.

I've noticed that iD varies the address fields shown depending on which
country is being edited. Some countries have a field labelled 'Suburb',
while for the UK the only level above street is 'City'. It would
definitely improve things if another field could be added, but it would
be difficult to argue for adding several fields. Therefore, it would
probably be better to agree on one main locality tag. Whatever happens
tags such as addr:suburb and addr:village are already in use and will
most probably continue to be used.

Cheers,
Will