[Talk-GB] Importing NaPTAN Data

Silent Spike silentspike100 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 1 16:35:12 UTC 2019

Thanks for sharing your insight and expertise Stuart.

I can see why there might be resistance to importing data. Personally, I
take the view that it saves a lot of time even if it's not perfect
(progress being incremental and all). The majority of bus stops near me in
OSM were added by myself and that's taken a long time. If the data had been
imported already then it would be much quicker to see where stops are and
then simply verify/update the data that's there. With that in mind, that's
basically all I'm proposing - a set of human reviewed mechanical edits
specifically for the Aberdeen area as I'm familiar with it. Looking at the
data already I can see that most of it matches up with bus stops I've
mapped and some are a couple of meters off the true position.

To more accurately define the scope of what I'd like to do:

   1. Import data specifically for the Aberdeen admin area (ATCO code 639)
   2. Import stops of type BCT ("On-street Bus / Coach / Trolley Stop.")
   3. Import BCT stops of type MKD ("Marked (pole, shelter etc)")
   4. Manually conflate and review the data before upload
   5. Split the edits up according to the "LocalityName" data field
   (basically districts from what I can tell)

If I'm able to make it through that process then a methodology will have
been established which perhaps others can use for their areas too. Then
perhaps I can investigate other types of stop (hail and ride, custom,
flexible) and transport.

As for `naptan:` tagging (
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/NaPTAN/Tag_mappings), I guess I'm just
not sure why much of that data has to be present in OSM. Surely just the
identifier is enough as it provides a link to the NaPTAN data itself.