[Talk-GB] Importing NaPTAN Data

Ed Loach edloach at gmail.com
Tue Jul 2 10:06:37 UTC 2019

David wrote:

> Given that few people like maintenance work, if you can't map all
> the
> stops from first principles, it is very unlikely that imported ones will
> get maintained.  Retaining the NaPTAN tagging is important in
> allowing
> any later remerge of the updated NaPTAN data.

I've been regularly updating local bus route relations (all now upgraded to PT schema v2) in Tendring [1], Colchester [1] and Maldon [2] areas of Essex. This involves more maintenance than just the bus stops (which for Essex were imported some years ago). I've written a program to help me with this, comparing the opendata with the OSM data so I can work out what needs updating.

Occasionally I encounter a bus stop used by a bus route which wasn't imported previously. In these cases I add the stop from NaPTAN (based on their latitude and longitude) and add the tags:
highway=bus_stop
public_transport=platform
source=naptan
naptan:verified=no
name=(NaPTAN name)
naptan:AtcoCode=(whatever)
naptan:NaptanCode=(whatever)

If the bus stop type is not MKD I add

naptan:BusStopType=(bus stop type)

and if the status is not "act" I add

naptan:Status=(status)

This last one is very rare as I think it is only once that I've found a deleted bus stop still part of a bus route (the road had been diverted and new stops installed - the old stop was on what is now a cycle path).

> Another problem with NaPTAN stops, which applies to non-OSM
> users as
> well is that they have virtual stops in Hail and Ride areas.  Routers
> seem to only like people boarding at those place, so, in my case, can
> take me about 7 minutes out of my way against the direction of
> travel,
> so tell me I have missed a bus that could be easily caught.

I'll agree with this. I've been adding them at the NaPTAN location as described above if they aren't already in, but these are occasionally up cul-de-sacs (usually at the start or end of the route).

Ed

[1] https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tendring(Essex)/Bus_Routes
[2] https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Maldon(Essex_District)/Bus_Routes

---