[Talk-GB] Importing NaPTAN Data

Silent Spike silentspike100 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 4 15:59:08 UTC 2019

On Thu, Jul 4, 2019 at 4:10 PM Dave F via Talk-GB <talk-gb at openstreetmap.org>
wrote:

> Please, please don't use public_transport=platform unless you're
> actually mapping an actual, physical, raised object, similar to railway
> platforms.
>
> It has now been regressed one stage further, being superfluously added
> to highway=bus_stop nodes. So much of the PT schema is just duplicating
> valid, existing data which leads to confusion & errors. It is a waste of
> time & effort.

My understanding is that `public_transport=platform` is any place where
public transport can be accessed and should not literally be interpreted as
a physical platform (tags not literally matching what they are used to map
seem to be very common in OSM). I think if you want to constructively
change tagging practise you need to discuss it on the tagging list and that
the import I would like to do should follow established tagging.

If anything `highway=bus_stop` is redundant data, however it's necessary
for render compatibility (violating the "don't tag for the renderer rule",
but everyone does it because default render still doesn't support PTv2
scheme).

Until the wider OSM community establishes better methods of tag creation
and deprecation these issues will continually crop up and (in my opinion)
should not impede mapping progress.