[Talk-GB] Importing NaPTAN Data

Dave F davefoxfac63 at btinternet.com
Thu Jul 4 17:28:07 UTC 2019

On 04/07/2019 16:39, Martin Wynne wrote:
> On 04/07/2019 16:11, Dave F via Talk-GB wrote:
>>
>> In OSM we map *physical* objects only.
>
> In rural areas there are many places where buses are timetabled to
> stop but where there is nothing physical -- no signpost or shelter.

These are still 'physical' in the sense that they exist in the timetable
& Naptan documents. (Think also boundaries which don't have dashed lines
painted across fields)

> Are these highway=bus_stop in OSM?

As a guesstimate, if they came from the naptan import, then probably yes

> The wiki for highway says "Can be mapped more rigorously using
> public_transport=stop_position for the position where the vehicle
> stops and public_transport=platform for the place where passengers wait.

It's disappointing to see, once again, the PT schema developers
hi-jacking wiki pages to enforce their schema. The comments column is
meant to describe how to use the tag not promote alternatives. This
needs changing.

"public_transport=stop_position for the position where the vehicle stops"
But that's not happening, is it? it's being wastefully duplicated on the
highway=bus_stop which is most often at the pole/sign location, not on
the highway.

highway=bus_stop is perfectly adequate to locate the place where people
wait for a bus. 'platform' is redundant

PTv2 is a complete mess. it needs rescinding.

DaveF