[Talk-GB] Importing NaPTAN Data [Thread 2]

Stuart Reynolds stuart at travelinesoutheast.org.uk
Fri Jul 5 10:35:54 UTC 2019

From your original post, I didn’t think so, especially.

However, the fields in NaPTAN are designed to be granular, and while many may seem to be irrelevant to OSM (e.g. why have a street name when the street is named on the map) different local authorities will have different approaches to using that granularity for flag display. So the stop in NaPTAN might have a common name of “Stuart Close” with an indicator of “adj”, showing that the stop was adjacent to Stuart Close. However, street name becomes relevant if the local authority shows e.g. "High Street / Stuart Close” on the flag (with High Street being the street that the stop is physically located on).

So it is a bit of a “suck it and see”, but in general I would suggest that, of the descriptive fields, you definitely want Common Name and Indicator, and you should consider including Streetname, Crossing and Landmark. In Wales and Gaelic-speaking parts of Scotland (including Ayr, apparently, where they are now erecting dual language signage) you should also include any non-English alternative names too. I’m less fussed about Locality, because the context of the map should give it, but sometimes child (lowest level) localities are not named on the map, or are named differently to the map.

I certainly wouldn’t include the short names (which are usually just the abbreviations on on-street real time displays or fronts of buses) or the plate / cleardown etc codes.

Note in passing that NaPTAN status often gets mis-used. Some authorities have a tendency to mark a stop as deleted when it no longer has services at it, even thought the infrastructure is still in place on the ground. These are supposed to be ACT but unused in NaPTAN, not deleted. If they are covered up, or physically removed, then they can be deleted. But not otherwise. You may come across some of these (or you may not).

Hope that helps.

Regards,
Stuart Reynolds
for traveline south east and anglia