[Talk-GB] Importing NaPTAN Data [Thread 2]

Stuart Reynolds stuart at travelinesoutheast.org.uk
Fri Jul 5 12:33:23 UTC 2019

When you say that

the indicator field is somewhat meaningless to a data consumer

what did you have in mind? To the end-user of the data (i.e. someone wanting to know about where to catch the bus) this is absolutely critical.

For example, in my previous post I face a suggestion of “Stuart Close” with an indicator of “adj”. There would usually be a second stop of the same common name, Stuart Close, perhaps with the indicator “opp”. Without understanding the NaPTAN schema, “app Stuart Close” and “adj Stuart Close” are understandable and are service direction dependent.

Even more so in bus stations. The name Derby Bus Station (actually just "Bus Station” in the locality of Derby) applies equally to all 29 bays in the bus station. “Bay 1” through “Bay 29” are the indicators.

Regards,
Stuart Reynolds
for traveline south east and anglia