[Talk-GB] Importing NaPTAN Data [Thread 2]

Andy Townsend ajt1047 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 5 12:40:31 UTC 2019

On 05/07/2019 13:19, Silent Spike wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 5, 2019 at 1:02 PM Gareth L <o.i at live.co.uk
> <mailto:o.i at live.co.uk>> wrote:
>
>     Forgive me if this is silly question/statement, but the adj/alt
>     names etc are in the naptan dataset. Wouldn’t it be better to have
>     the link made between the stop in OSM and the record in naptan
>     (using the codes prior mentioned).
>     My thinking is data consumers could link and retrieve values using
>     that. Merging the extra data values again might potentially
>     develop discrepancies over time.
>
>     I’d think the atco code is unique and (hopefully) not reused, but
>     the alt names etc could be modified over time.
>

> A perfectly valid question and something I wonder also.
>
> For example, the indicator field is somewhat meaningless to a data
> consumer unless they know what it represents as per the NaPTAN schema
> - so perhaps it's best left out of the OSM data?

FWIW I did actually append that to name when displaying those because it
"looked useful" (to append to the name and distinguish between other
identically named stops):

https://github.com/SomeoneElseOSM/SomeoneElse-style/blob/master/style.lua#L5010

As to the original question "Would there be any objections to an import
of the following scope" - certainly not from me.  I wouldn't personally
use the PTv2 "platform" tag but its presence doesn't break anything.

The most interesting bit would be the "Manually conflate and review the
data before upload using JOSM" - any JOSM CSS style that you end up
using to highlight duplicates would be really useful, as would a basic
OSM diary entry describing the process and the end result.

Best Regards,

Andy