[Talk-GB] Tagging a St John's Ambulance base

Peter Neale nealepb at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Jul 10 20:18:44 UTC 2019

Personally, I would have thought of it as a club, in which first aid is taught, as a hobby ( No offence intended to any St John volunteers)
Peter

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

  On Wed, 10 Jul 2019 at 20:30, Mark Goodge<mark at good-stuff.co.uk> wrote:

On 10/07/2019 19:08, Ben Proctor wrote:
> Hello mapping people
>
> There is a building and yard in Hereford used by St John's Ambulance.
> The building functions as a meeting venue (like a scout hut but for St
> John's) and some vehicles are stored in the yard.
>
> https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=19/52.06051/-2.71419
>
> How would you tag this?
>
> It's currently amenity=doctors which doesn't seem right.
> emergency=ambulance_station doesn't seem to describe this use.
>
> I was heading down amenity=community_centre route but I'm not sure
> that's right either.
>
> A quick search for St John's Ambulance reveals a wider range of
> approaches in other areas.

I'd be inclined to go for community centre, in this case. It isn't an
emergency ambulance station, which is what the
emergency=ambulance_station tag is for (and, in any case, is rapidly
becoming obsolete with the new distributed means of organising an
ambulance service), and it isn't a doctor or a clinic either. And the
main purpose of the building (as opposed to the yard) is for things like
first aid training (both for St John volunteers themselves and the wider
community). So a community centre is probably closest.

Mark

Mark