[Talk-GB] UK coastline data

Ed Loach edloach at gmail.com
Thu Jul 11 20:01:21 UTC 2019

You'll probably get comments about import guidelines but I did similar for Tendring about 9 years ago before there were any. I think your use of the word import in this scenario may be misleading as you're not bulk importing the whole coastline but selectively improving sections of coastline by manually improving existing data by using a small subset of available opendata.

If you're using JOSM you can remove excess nodes (which I didn't know at the time and have tried to clear up a bit since).

Coastlines take some care when editing so you don't flood the country; from your post and the lack of any recent issues you've proved you can handle this.

Coastlines change over time - locally a coastal protection scheme added a few fish tailed groynes to MHW so I replaced that short section when the data became available (too recent to trace from imagery).

OSM is a process of continual improvement. I would say if you are doing small areas manually with care rather than bulk importing the whole coastline then carry on doing areas if you're willing to maintain them too.

Best wishes,

Ed