[Talk-GB] UK coastline data

Borbus borbus at gmail.com
Fri Jul 12 18:55:40 UTC 2019

On Fri, Jul 12, 2019 at 9:17 AM Mark Goodge <mark at good-stuff.co.uk> wrote:
> It's also one of the most useful from a leisure perspective, as a lot of
> popular beaches fall primarily or wholly in the intertidal zone. Take,
> for example, Hunstanton in Norfolk - at high tide the sea comes all the
> way up to the sea wall, and there is no beach as such on the town centre
> seafront. But, at low tide, there's a large expanse of sand. And, in
> between, there are differing amounts of sand visible!

Hunstantson was one of the beaches I updated in my edits. The
data is now correct, but the carto layer doesn't actually show
the coastline (the MHW level) unfortunately.

Interesting that you mention the sand and mud further south. At
some point between Hunstanton and Snettisham the intertidal zone
changes from "beach" to "tidal flat". I've actually continued
the "beach" all the way down to Snettisham with the "tidal flats"
starting beyond the nature reserve. This is quite an important
distinction, because if you go to those areas expecting a beach
but get a tidal flat you'll be in for a (probably unpleasant)
surprise.

Any idea where to draw the line here?

There's a similar situation on the other side between Skegness
and Gibraltar Point.

Borbus.