[Talk-GB] UK coastline data

Colin Smale colin.smale at xs4all.nl
Sat Jul 13 20:38:04 UTC 2019

On 2019-07-13 22:00, David Woolley wrote:

> On 13/07/2019 20:53, Colin Smale wrote:
>
>> Another reason to want MLW in OSM: The "Extent of the Realm" is *for the most part* defined as MLWS. This is the limit of the jurisdiction of normal (local) government. Beyond MLWS, the local council no longer has any say - it's the UK laws of the sea, as applicable to territorial waters.
>
> Low water mark is only a boundary of the realm when it doesn't fall within a "internal waterway".

Have you got a reference for this, making the link between the boundary
of the Realm and the MCA classification of an inland waterway?

What could be a consequence of this? Could you illustrate this with an
example?

The MCA definition of "inland waters" would draw a line across the
Thames at Gravesend and across the Dart at Battery Point. These lines
don't correspond to any admin boundaries I am aware of.