[Talk-GB] Ground truth v legal truth

Martin Wynne martin at templot.com
Fri Jul 19 12:30:48 UTC 2019

On 19/07/2019 12:55, David Woolley wrote:
> (As a variation on the last point, one of my pet hates, these days, is
> how few houses now have house numbers in the UK.  It make it difficult
> to give accurate locations for fly tips

Have you seen: https://what3words.com/

Every 3m (10ft) square on the planet is given a location name consisting
of 3 random words from the dictionary. Their app shows you the 3 words
for your current location.

Many emergency services are using it -- much easier than asking callers
to give postcodes, grid refs, lat/lon, road numbers, etc. Just read out
the 3 words from your screen.

Even if the local authority don't already use it, they can easily
download it when given the 3 words, or go to the web site to find the
location.

Anyone can scribble down 3 words without making a mistake. And often
remember them.

cheers,

Martin.