[Talk-GB] Ground truth v legal truth

Lester Caine lester at lsces.uk
Fri Jul 19 13:02:44 UTC 2019

On 19/07/2019 13:37, Tom Hughes wrote:
> On 19/07/2019 12:55, David Woolley wrote:
>> On 19/07/2019 12:36, Philip Barnes wrote:
>>> I cannot dispute this is legally a primary, OS Opendata shows it.
>>
>> I would say the logical consequence of that argument is that no road
>> should be mapped as tertiary, as, unless taken from OS, it is a
>> subjective judgement and can't be consistently verified.
>
> That doesn't follow - in the UK we have always (with very rare
> exceptions like Oxford High Street) mapped secondary, primary and
> trunk to the official status of the road.
>
> Roads with no official status as A or B roads are then divided
> between tertiary, unclassified and residential on a more subjective
> basis.

Agreed ... if a UK road has an official reference it's classified. If
not then it's tertiary if it does form part of the main road system and
unclassified if it's not suitable for normal vehicle use. MANY of the
roads around here are 'class c' and while it IS tempting to re-tag them
as a higher level in order to get the routers to actually work, it's the
routers treating them as lower speed routes which is the problem. At
least around here and that is when 'service' as opposed to 'tertiary'
should apply where a route IS more access route than primary link
between to 'higher classification' routes.

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL