[Talk-GB] Automated Code-Point Open postcode editing (simple cases only)

ndrw6 at redhazel.co.uk ndrw6 at redhazel.co.uk
Fri Jul 19 21:36:39 UTC 2019

On 19/07/2019 20:29, Mark Goodge wrote:

> ONS postcode products are also OGL, so can be reused in OSM and
> similar. They're also more useful than Code-Point Open in that they
> also include lookups to a number of other government codes (such as
> local authority GSS codes). It also differentiates between "large
> user" and normal postcodes, and includes an introduction date and,
> where applicable, a termination date for every valid postcode.

That would be very useful indeed but what is the license of these extra
features? OGL alone doesn't mean anything if they qualify it with "data
may contain third party IP" or similar.

Their website says:

"Our postcode products (derived from Code-Point® Open) are subject to
the Open Government Licence."

and then:

"If you also use the Northern Ireland data (postcodes starting with
“BT”), you need a separate licence for commercial use direct from Land
and Property Services."

I understand it as only the part that already exists in Code-Point Open
is free, extra information may or may not be free, depending if it comes
from ONS own data or other sources.

Best regards,

ndrw6