[Talk-GB] Gates open/closed by default

Dan S danstowell+osm at gmail.com
Fri Jul 26 12:25:29 UTC 2019

Op vr 26 jul. 2019 om 13:15 schreef Martin Wynne <martin at templot.com>:

> The tag is *barrier*=gate.
>
> A permanently open gate isn't a barrier, so I don't think it should be
> tagged as such. At least not across a way.

In OSM tagging, the definition isn't strongly tied to the literal
English meaning, but rather to how it's used and interpreted. Any
object that is tagged with "access=yes" and "barrier=*" could be said
to be "not a barrier" since access would seem to be permitted for
everyone. But we still use the barrier tag.

I'd also suggest that a "permanently open gate" is still a gate that
someone might close in future (e.g. if they change their access
policy). Also, there's usually a gate-post on each side of the way,
not just one side.

So yes, I tag permanently-open gates on the way itself.

Cheers
Dan