[Talk-GB] Adjacent nature reserves

Mateusz Konieczny matkoniecz at tutanota.com
Thu Jun 6 08:12:33 UTC 2019

5 Jun 2019, 19:55 by martin at templot.com:

> But on the OSM standard map, the common boundary is shown as a bold green line, which bears no relation to anything on the ground and could be misleading for visitors.

Note that maps are not aerial images - there is often significant level of abstraction and
especially for borders there is often nothing visible on the ground.

This rendering was used as compromise between several different problem.

Note also that the same styling applies to all nature reserves across the world.

> Is there a better way to map this?

There are two nature reserves there, right?

sounds like tagging for the renderer - https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tagging_for_the_renderer <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tagging_for_the_renderer>

> Is there a way to show the common boundary less prominently?

This is on side of renderers. This one has repository at
https://github.com/gravitystorm/openstreetmap-carto/ <https://github.com/gravitystorm/openstreetmap-carto/>
where proposals to improve it or pull requests with code improving it may be submitted.

Though again, the same rendering rules are applied globally, and for every single one
there are cases where it fails horribly. Improving one specific place may have really bad
results elsewhere.

On the data side - I would consider tagging borders on the shared way (mapping boundaries
as multipolygons), currently each nature reserve is a separate way.
https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/694760748#map=17/52.37217/-2.28169

(it would not change rendering, at least on default OSM map)