[Talk-GB] Adjacent nature reserves

Mateusz Konieczny matkoniecz at tutanota.com
Fri Jun 28 04:58:24 UTC 2019

28 Jun 2019, 02:29 by forums at david-woolley.me.uk:

> On 28/06/2019 00:56, Warin wrote:
>
>> that are also holes in them (they usually omit making the hole, so an added car parking area will be covered by trees until I notice
>>

> I believe that is a renderer bug.  Generally smaller, fully nested, areas should cut out holes in incompatible backgrounds without explicit relations.

It is not a renderer bug. At least in case of OSM Carto, where tree-covered area is deliberately
working in this way to indicate missing multipolygons. And to support case of tree covered areas of
various types.

Missing explicit holes are not a biggest mapping quality issue. but  it is better to
make it explicit, in almost all cases "is it incompatible area" is not actually obvious and the
same across world. Also processing such data with implicit holes is unreasonably hard.

Though I am still not a fan of using multipolygons where there are no holes in
areas.