[Talk-GB] Bridleway or track?

Martin Wynne martin at templot.com
Sun Mar 3 16:11:12 UTC 2019

What is the dividing line between:

  highway=bridleway  designation=public_bridleway

and

  highway=track  designation=public_bridleway

The wiki says a track must be suitable for farm vehicles, but it's a
rare bridleway that is only wide enough for a horse, and not for a small
tractor or 4x4 type vehicle.

Which taken logically would mean that highway=bridleway would hardly
ever be used. But it's a useful indication for map users when rendered
-- in the UK at least a bridleway is almost always a public right of
way. Whereas a way rendered as a track is often private. The standard
renderings for a track differentiate between surface conditions, but not
access.

Does a track require actual evidence of recent vehicular use? The wiki
doesn't say so. And must the vehicle be motorised? For example if the
last time a way was used by a wheeled vehicle was a horse and cart 50
years ago, was it then a bridleway or a track? And what is it now?

If I tag a way as a bridleway, and then a few weeks later see a tractor
using it, should I change it to a track?

For example, is this a bridleway or a track?

  http://85a.uk/worc_way_1600x980.jpg

Thanks,

Martin.