[Talk-GB] Bridleway or track?

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Sun Mar 3 22:54:34 UTC 2019

On 04/03/19 03:11, Martin Wynne wrote:
> What is the dividing line between:
>
>  highway=bridleway  designation=public_bridleway
>
> and
>
>  highway=track  designation=public_bridleway
>
> The wiki says a track must be suitable for farm vehicles, but it's a
> rare bridleway that is only wide enough for a horse, and not for a
> small tractor or 4x4 type vehicle.
>
> Which taken logically would mean that highway=bridleway would hardly
> ever be used. But it's a useful indication for map users when rendered
> -- in the UK at least a bridleway is almost always a public right of
> way. Whereas a way rendered as a track is often private.

> The standard renderings for a track differentiate between surface
> conditions, but not access.

Rule 1: Ignore the renders! Tag the truth.

Some renders do show access restrictions.

> Does a track require actual evidence of recent vehicular use? The wiki
> doesn't say so. And must the vehicle be motorised? For example if the
> last time a way was used by a wheeled vehicle was a horse and cart 50
> years ago, was it then a bridleway or a track? And what is it now?
>
> If I tag a way as a bridleway, and then a few weeks later see a
> tractor using it, should I change it to a track?

If a field is used for a helicopter landing .. should you tag it as a
heliport?

My answer is - what is it regularly used for and is suitable for that
use? Not what it could be or seldom used for.

If it has not been used for some time then disused:*=* could be useful.

Yes, there will be some judgement required.