[Talk-GB] How to map new housing?

David Woolley forums at david-woolley.me.uk
Fri Mar 8 12:29:30 UTC 2019

On 08/03/2019 11:23, Lester Caine wrote:
> One source of information that I use is the planning application. 
> Although it may also be necessary to ask the builders if you can use it 
> directly. It's a useful background on josm ... when combined with a GPS 
> walk around.

Planning applications are made available to the the public on the strict 
understanding that they may only be used for planning purpose.  They 
generally contain maps which, if from digital sources, have a condition 
that all copies be destroyed after a year.

Generally I would say that planning applications are not an acceptable 

Personally I think people put too much emphasis on building outlines, 
probably because they can be armchair mapped.  Having housenumbers is, 
in my view, more useful, but less common.

Unless you can convince the developer to contribute them, I would 
suggest that only old fashioned triangulation, or hiring a professional 
drone operator/commissioning aerial photography, are going to give you 
good information.

I suppose you could laser scan, but the hire fees will be excessive.

More information about the Talk-GB mailing list