[Talk-GB] Tagging of Argos stores

David Woolley forums at david-woolley.me.uk
Sun Mar 10 15:15:42 UTC 2019

On 10/03/2019 14:58, Donald Noble wrote:

> I suspect shop=catalogue is probably the best option for a normal Argos
> store, but just wondering:
> a) if anything special is needed when it is just a counter in another
> store (given that this is pretty much all there is own the other shops,
> b) if there is any consensus on how to tag these, and
> c) if so, whether these should be standardised across the UK?

Concessions aren't limited to Argos and have existed for decades, at
least, in department stores.  What has tended to happen recently is
their extending to other sorts of stores, e.g. Post Office in W H
Smith's, Timpsons in Morrison's, Costa in Tesco, or even Amazon lockers
in various places.

Shops that are pure shops of one type seem to be quite rare.  Even the
small independents near me normally don't fit into one category.  Small
shops often have concessions for courier services.   A lot of this is
about "foot fall", the theory being if people use one service they may
also use the the primary service of the shop.

I'm not sure if any more than a nested point or area is needed, but if
it is, one really needs to look at he whole concessions picture, and
possibly also better support of multi-valued shop tags in renderers.

What I haven't worked out yet is whether the Argos concession, in my
local supermarket, itself has an E-bay concession!

(Actually shops on railway stations are probably technically
concessions, as well.)