[Talk-GB] How to map new housing?

Donald Noble drnoble at gmail.com
Sun Mar 10 21:08:07 UTC 2019

Dave,

As others have pointed out there is no particular way to do this, but I
find that cycling round the roads with a helmet mounted video camera,
speaking out the road names/house numbers as I go past. Often it takes a
few visits to get everything correct, but even if it is not perfect it can
still be helpful.

The advantage I find with video is you get more context than still images.
However I sometimes also use still images to try and triangulate the
positions of parts I can't access, or upload to Mapillary to allow others
to use them for other purposes.

For building outlines, I usually just estimate the size based on the number
of houses and the length of road from the GPS traces, offsetting back from
the road by eye. I tend to draw simple boxes, rather than try and be too
accurate. Once new imagery is available (every year or so), the size/shape
can be tweaked.

Hope this helps,
Donald

View my photos at https://www.flickr.com/photos/drnoble/