[Talk-GB] Survey date

Martin Wynne martin at templot.com
Sun Mar 10 21:24:59 UTC 2019

I'm minded to start adding

  survey:date=

to some of my mapping (if you can call climbing over a stile surveying
it). I've noticed on repeat visits that things do change quite a lot,
and I can't guarantee to go back and keep everything I map up to date.

But I'm puzzled by the wiki, which says:

"This key should only be used when providing the survey date would be of
some value to the OSM community, for example if the survey date occurred
a reasonable amount of time in the past."

Surely end users of the map are just as likely to want to check the date
of something shown on the map as the "OSM community", which I assume
means mappers?

And what is a "reasonable amount of time in the past", and starting from
when? It doesn't make sense. If I survey and map something now, and it
is still on the map in 10 years time, I need to have put the date on it now.

cheers,

Martin.