[Talk-GB] Bridleway or track?

Martin Wynne martin at templot.com
Sun Mar 10 22:37:23 UTC 2019

Thanks for the comments.

I'm surprised some folks can be so dogmatic, I usually find myself
chewing my pencil. I was hoping someone might have some simple rules of
thumb. Wheel ruts or tyre marks clearly means "track", but it doesn't
take long for them to disappear if it hasn't been used by vehicles for a
while.

But I did only yesterday come across what clearly appeared to be a
track, with evident wheel ruts, but with a shiny new gate only about 4
feet wide, which is clearly too narrow for any vehicle. So that one is
decided, at least.

Changing the subject a little, is it still a track if wide enough for a
vehicle, but the landowner has physically blocked vehicles from entering
it with barrier=block like this:

  http://85a.uk/blocked_track_960x580.jpg

Which is rather different from a gate (which might need a key to unlock it).

The wiki says a track must be wide enough for two-track vehicles, which
this is, but doesn't say that they must be able to physically access it.

cheers,

Martin.