[Talk-GB] Bridleway or track?

Dave F davefoxfac63 at btinternet.com
Mon Mar 11 20:40:52 UTC 2019

On 10/03/2019 23:45, Martin Wynne wrote:
>> There's clearly no evidence of 4 wheeled vehicles, so it should be
>> marked as a bridleway, but It's advisable to check the whole length
>> as sections can be used by vehicles such as agricultural ones to get
>> between adjacent fields.
>
> It's a public bridleway, with the usual "evidence", so no argument
> about that.
>
> But is it highway=bridleway or highway=track?

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:highway%3Dtrack

Specifically this, except substitute path for bridleway:
If the way is not wide enough for a two-track vehicle, it should be
tagged as highway=path.

> There is evidence of recent wheeled use, which I think was a tractor
> gaining access across the adjacent fields for the purpose of
> hedge-trimming alongside it. It clearly was once a vehicular track.

Then split the way up. Tag the sections accessible by vehicles as
highway=track
horse=designated
foot=designated
designation=public_bridleway
surface=*

width=* is also useful for both bridleway & track

> What I think I'm getting at is this -- is the highway= tag intended to
> represent the physical appearance, or the intended use?

With track, it probably has to be a bit of both, Physical appearance
should provide an indication of intended use. Unlike metalled highways,
tracks, unfortunately, rarely have clarifying reference signs like the
A4, M62 etc