[Talk-GB] Bridleway or track?

Adam Snape adam.c.snape at gmail.com
Tue Mar 12 07:22:58 UTC 2019

On Mon, 11 Mar 2019, 12:54 Devonshire, <maps at fortyfivekev.co.uk> wrote:

> I have personally deprecated highway=bridleway|byway etc. as the
> combination of highway=footway|track|service and
> designation=public_footpath etc. contains more useful information both for
> map rendering and for active map users. Whether you wan't to do the same is
> up to you.
>
> Kevin

Byway is universally depreciated these days.

It seems somewhat odd to reject bridleway whilst using footway which shares
the same arguable 'flaw' of tagging both physical appearance and implied
access in one tag. For those unhappy with these tags, as Dave mentions, the
highway=path tag was designed to physically describe a physical path and be
used in combination with access tags.

Now, I can understand using either the 'classic' (highway=footway or
highway=bridleway) or 'alternate' (highway=path + access tags) tagging
schemes but I'd think that a hybrid resulting in combinations like
highway=footway horse=designated is best avoided .

Kind regards

Adam