[Talk-GB] Bridleway or track?

Martin Wynne martin at templot.com
Tue Mar 12 08:38:34 UTC 2019

On 11/03/2019 12:53, Devonshire wrote:
> I have personally deprecated highway=bridleway|byway etc. as the combination of highway=footway|track|service and designation=public_footpath etc. contains more useful information both for map rendering and for active map users. Whether you wan't to do the same is up to you.

Thanks Kevin.

This still leaves unanswered the question of what is a track?

The wiki refers only to its *width* as the deciding matter and nothing else:

"This tag represents roads for mostly agricultural use, forest tracks
etc.; that are suitable for two-track vehicles, such as tractors or
jeeps. If the way is not wide enough for a two-track vehicle, it should
be tagged as highway=path."

Is it still a track if it is wide enough for such use, and clearly has
been a track in times past, is shown as such on old maps, but is now
blocked off for vehicular access and there is no evidence of current
vehicular use?

Here is a bit more of the public bridleway which I posted previously:

  http://85a.uk/blocked_track1_960x580.jpg

Is this

a) highway=bridleway + access designations (deprecated ?)

b) highway=path + access designations (too wide ?)

c) highway=track + access designations (no physical vehicular access ?)

cheers,

Martin.