[Talk-GB] Bridleway or track?

Nick Whitelegg nick.whitelegg at solent.ac.uk
Fri Mar 15 19:02:00 UTC 2019

I would urge the use of 'foot=yes' or 'foot=permissive' for paths which are _not_ rights of way but _do_ have public access (implicitly or explicitly) rather than simply 'highway=footway' or 'highway=path'. There needs to be a way to distinguish between non-rights-of-way which definitely have public access and those which may not - so that, for example, routing software will not try and route you along some path which is private but is just missing a 'PRIVATE' sign currently.

For instance a path between roads in towns which is not a right of way I'd use 'foot=yes', while one in the countryside marked as permissive I'd use 'foot=permissive'.

Nick