[Talk-GB] Bridleway or track?

Martin Wynne martin at templot.com
Fri Mar 15 19:21:24 UTC 2019

> Are there any data users who use 'highway=footway;foot=yes' to
> distinguish from other footways?

I also find much of the wiki unclear.

To my mind:

highway=footway means a narrow smooth physical object capable of being
walked along in safety.

If you can't do that, it is not a footway. So for example, where there
is a stile in a hedge set back from a road, I would terminate the
footway at the stile, and link from there to the centre of the road with
simply highway=yes for routing purposes.

foot=yes means that the general public are allowed to use it at all
times for any reason. As opposed to private, permissive, destination
only, etc.

foot=designated + designation=public_footpath means that the said path
is also shown on the highway authority's definitive map as a legal right
of way. Many urban footpaths are not so shown.

But I'm sure someone will disagree, and the wiki is no help in deciding
the matter. :)

cheers,

Martin.