[Talk-GB] Bridleway or track?

Martin Wynne martin at templot.com
Fri Mar 15 23:38:37 UTC 2019

>> or record its actual usage?
>
> Yes, in as much as "record its actual usage" is essentially the same as
> "describe its usage".

Hi Andy,

I was meaning "describe its physical appearance".

For example, for:

  http://85a.uk/track_query_960x648.jpg

I could tag it as:

highway=track  (physical appearance), or

highway=footway (legal status), or

highway=disused (evidence of use).

But presumably the designers of OSM intended only one of these meanings
for the highway tag. But I still don't know whether it is physical
appearance or legal status. The wiki seems to be mixed up on this. For
example:

1. highway=secondary (*legal status* - B road, and physical appearance,
condition, etc. is irrelevant).

Actual width, etc., to be set as separate (optional) tags.

Whereas:

2. highway=track (*physical appearance* - wide enough for farm vehicles,
and legal status is irrelevant).

Actual status, designation, etc., to be set as separate (optional) tags.

cheers,

Martin.