[Talk-GB] Common Land has stopped rendering

SK53 sk53.osm at gmail.com
Sat Mar 16 13:23:15 UTC 2019

No, Carto is just one way of viewing OSM data. It has a small number of
maintainers and although highly visible does not represent any 'official'
view. Nor, incidentally, does the OSM wiki. Re-tagging things to make them
render on Carto is very poor practice. Use of park would be reprehensible &
devalue that tag forcing other data consumers to make changes for their own
applications.

As I said Andy's map is far more focused on things which are likely to
matter to UK mappers, and many of us use it as the map of reference (for
instance it shows footpaths and hedgerows at lower zoom levels than the
standard style).

Can we please, once and for all, cease describing things as "deprecated".
OSM tagging is not analogous to the syntax and semantics of a computer
language or API. We should strive to use a terminology which is more akin
to that spoken by a broader community: "no longer recommended...",
"generally replaced by...", "ambiguous, so prefer …".

Jerry