[Talk-GB] Common Land has stopped rendering

Martin Wynne martin at templot.com
Sat Mar 16 14:32:46 UTC 2019

> To me the simplest rule of thumb
> is that a park is fenced, allowing the authorities to control access, while
> a common is unfenced allowing anyone to access it at any time.

The local municipal park here is unfenced, just a row of low wooden
bollards to prevent vehicle incursions. Access on foot is uncontrolled.

An interesting conundrum is how to tag a private ornamental park, such as:

  https://goo.gl/maps/2qPQEbJVeZD2

I recall reading an article from an OS surveyor saying that he knew one
when he saw one, but neither he nor anyone else had ever been able to
put a clear definition in words.

It's rather more than a "meadow" isn't it? But hardly a "garden"?

cheers,

Martin.