[Talk-GB] Common Land has stopped rendering

David Woolley forums at david-woolley.me.uk
Mon Mar 18 13:32:35 UTC 2019

On 18/03/2019 13:06, John Aldridge wrote:
> For many people, the *point* of OSM is that it's a better version of
> Google maps. If data is not visible on the 'front page' rendering, it
> might as well not be there.

OSM doesn't have a business model that supports that usage.  It is not
something that they would want to encourage, because there is no way for
them to pay for the servers needed to support a general move from Google
to OSM.

My understanding is that the standard style is primarily as an aid to
mappers, and secondarily as a demonstrator to show that it is possible
to create reasonable looking maps.