[Talk-GB] "UK-centric" OSM-based maps (was: Common Land has stopped rendering)

Andy Townsend ajt1047 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 18 14:36:57 UTC 2019

On 18/03/2019 13:06, John Aldridge wrote:

> There should, IMO, be a general purpose UK styled rendering on the
> front page of https://osmuk.org/

There is/was a discussion about a "UK-centric" map for OSM UK, some of
which was below
https://www.loomio.org/g/R8DGJMfk/openstreetmap-uk-project-map .  It
didn't really go anywhere - what was missing was not good ideas, but the
willingness to invest the effort to make it happen (and I include myself
in that).

Personally, I'm not convinced that a "map heavy" front page for
https://osmuk.org/ would be better than what exists at the moment (but
then I also think that https://www.openstreetmap.de/ is a better "front
page for the project" than https://www.openstreetmap.org ), but it's
perfectly possible to create a UK-centric map (as Jerry's already
mentioned, various examples exist, including
https://map.atownsend.org.uk ).  If anyone wants to add anything new
there, follow the links from the top of the page to github and make
suggestions/changes there.

As for the OSM Carto style on https://www.openstreetmap.org as being
"the OSM map style that most people see", I suspect it's actually way
down the list, below the OSM-based, Mapbox-created styles used by e.g.
Facebook et al., and Apple's map styles.

Best Regards,

Andy