[Talk-GB] Invalid building levels and building (part) height license compatibility

Neil Matthews ndmatthews at plus.net
Mon Mar 18 21:05:37 UTC 2019

Thanks for the DEFRA link - has some potential :-)

The first issue I was raising was that for convenience some (commercial)
OSM mappers were using a value like 0.75 per building level (or
something similar) so that their rendering software could deal directly
with OSM data without post-processing it. Effectively a 100 level set of
flats would be marked as building:level=75.

The second issue is how to ensure that height values used for 3D mapping
aren't just being made up (given previous behaviour) - or coming a
source that isn't appropriate for OpenStreetmap.
Unfortunately, I haven't managed to get the editors to cite the data
source they are using for building (part) heights, etc. -- but I do note
that the area isn't mapped by DEFRA lidar!

Cheers,
Neil

P.S. Any suggestions  on how I can measure buildings "on-foot" greatly
apreciated...