[Talk-GB] Milton Keynes Redways - How to Tag Consistently

Peter Neale nealepb at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Mar 20 17:58:13 UTC 2019

I am relatively new to OSM, but am trying to contribute in a useful way, particularly in my local area (Milton Keynes).
Milton Keynes enjoys (among many benefits) an extensive network of joint-use Cycle Paths / Foot Paths, known as “Redways” https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milton_Keynes_redway_system

Most (if not all) are already mapped in OSM, but the tagging is not consistent, so I was considering making small amendments to increase consistency.  However, I don’t want to make them consistently wrong, so I am seeking confirmation of how they should be tagged.
Official Status of Redways  MK Council publishes a map of the Redway Network, https://www.milton-keynes.gov.uk/assets/attach/51668/MK_Redway_Poster_PRINT_NOcrops.pdf
with a “Redway Code”, which states,
“The Redways are an important part of Milton Keynes.  They are shared-use routes for people on foot or on cycles.  The traffic free network is popular for leisure, for commuting and for staying active.  Redways may be used by anyone cycling and walking including people with pushchairs, or prams and those in wheelchairs (including powered wheelchairs / mobility scooters).”and,
“Redways and the Law:  Electric cycles which meet EAPC Regulations are permitted to use Redways.As Public Highway, all legal requirements and the Highway Code are applicable to the Redways: cycles should be roadworthy and able to stop in an emergency; cycle lights are required at night.All motor-powered vehicles including mopeds, mini-motos and motorcycles are prohibited from using Redways, with the exception of authorised vehicles e.g. emergency vehicles and maintenance vehicles.”
An Old RelationI have found a previous Relation, (https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/145144) which I assume linked all the Redways, but which @andrewmk deleted some years ago, so I am NOT proposing to re-create that Relation.
Access TaggingSo how should they be tagged for access?I believe it should be:highway=path  (but I see several tagged as highway=cycleway and both are shown in the Wiki at https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:highway=cycleway)foot=designatedmotor vehicle=permit (to allow the emergency vehicles and maintenance vehicles)moped=no bicycle=designatedhorses=not specifiedsegregated=noIs that correct?
NamingI am not aware of any Redways that have unique names (someone will probably correct me on this), but I see several on OSM tagged with “name=Redway”.  Whilst I can see the attraction of doing this, I suspect that would not be considered good practice.  Should I delete that name, whenever I see it?
Regards,
 Peter Neale
t: 01908 309666
m: 07968 341930