[Talk-GB] Milton Keynes Redways - How to Tag Consistently

Richard Fairhurst richard at systemed.net
Thu Mar 21 13:06:12 UTC 2019

Peter Neale wrote:
>So how should they be tagged for access? I believe it should be:
> highway=path  (but I see several tagged as highway=cycleway and both are
> shown in the Wiki
> at https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:highway=cycleway)
> foot=designated
> motor vehicle=permit (to allow the emergency vehicles and maintenance
> vehicles)
> moped=no
> bicycle=designated
> horses=not specified
> segregated=no

highway=cycleway, segregated=no achieves all that in two tags rather than
seven. :)

It's also more meaningful for routers/renderers, which can default to
assuming "this was built to cycleway standards" (i.e. paved) rather than
"this is just a path of some sort" (i.e. who knows). Though by all means do
add surface=paved (or =asphalt) for clarity.

Richard

--
Sent from: http://gis.19327.n8.nabble.com/Great-Britain-f5372682.html