[Talk-GB] Quarterly Project Apr-Jun

Brian Prangle bprangle at gmail.com
Sun Mar 31 12:56:53 UTC 2019

Hi everyone

Our current Quarterly Project -  using Food Hygiene Rating Standard data to
improve addresses - ends today. We now have nearly 70,000 entities tagged
with their fhrs:id identifier. During the quarter the addition of postcode
data showed little sign of abating
<https://osm.mathmos.net/addresses/history/>.

So we've had another productive Quarterly Project- thank you to everyone
who contributed

Our next Quartely Project continues the theme of addresses but from another
angle. This quarter should see us address the issue of the major change
under way on all our high streets as the retail sector continues its
restructuring
under the impact of online services

The first priority should be to reduce the number of "Ghosts". Ghosts are
businesses that no longer exist (e.g Toys R US, BHS) or have changed name
due to merger or takeover or rebranding (e.g Lloyds TSB, Staples,
Co-operative Pharmacies).

A comprehensive list can be found here <https://osm.mathmos.net/ghosts/>.

There are probably more announcements to be made to add to our work, as
bank and atm networks continue to retract. This could be a good opportunity
to build community links by contacting local mappers in areas that need
some attention to their high streets, rather than armchairing the exercise.

Of course  not all retail businesses on our High Streets are  chains so the
project can be regarded as generally improving coverage  and detail of
retail areas.

Some other resources to help you

Nameless shops and other POIs <https://osm.mathmos.net/nameless/>

Survey Me! <https://osm.mathmos.net/survey/>

We are also trying to get a StreetComplete instance set up to help with
surveying/editing.  Adam <adam at osmuk.org> from the OSMUK Board is leading
this initiative and is keen to get some assistance.

Regards

Brian