[Talk-GB] Mapping a combined stile and gate?

Martin Wynne martin at templot.com
Sun May 5 12:17:00 UTC 2019

On 22/04/2019 14:09, Dave F via Talk-GB wrote:
> If I have the patience, I split them:
> https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=19/51.40349/-2.44502
>
> The PROW ref should go over the stile's way even if the gate is always
> open - it's up the walker to decide which to use (even if the choice is
> obvious)
>
> DaveF
>
> On 22/04/2019 13:43, Martin Wynne wrote:
>> Often in my travels I come across something like this:
>>
>>  http://85a.uk/stile_gate2_1280x720.jpg
>>
>>  http://85a.uk/stile_gate_1280x720.jpg
>>
>> Should this be mapped as a stile or a gate? Or both side by side?
>>
>> If the latter, which node should the way be connected to?

Thanks for all the comments. I have adopted Dave's method of splitting
the ways, with the PROW over the stile, and the de-designated bit of
track through the gate. But it's a time-consuming business compared with
simply dropping a node on a way.

Also, I can't make up my mind whether the split way over the stile
should be a long shallow V-shape, or a short sharp U-shape very close to
the gate? That means adding 5 extra nodes instead of 3, but looks more
like a single landscape structure.

cheers,

Martin.