[Talk-GB] Miniature railway or minimum gauge?

Mark Goodge mark at good-stuff.co.uk
Tue May 21 11:18:02 UTC 2019

On 20/05/2019 22:13, jc129 at mail.com wrote:
> On 18/05/2019 18:03, Mark Goodge wrote:
>
>> The OSM wiki is correct to distinguish between miniature railways (ie,
>> ridable models) and small gauge "real" railways, as this reflects usage
>> among railway engineers and enthusiasts in the non-mapping community.
>
> As I'm not a railway engineer or enthusiast I'm not sure what you mean,
> so please can you give specific examples?

The most important difference, from an engineering/enthusiast
perspective, is whether the line was originally built for a functional
purpose (passenger/freight transport) rather than being just for the fun
of the ride. Obviously, most narrow gauge railways these days exist
solely for leisure purposes, but many of them were formerly functional
railways. If it was built as a functional railway, then - even if it has
been significantly rebuilt in order to cater for the leisure market and
no longer has any functional aspect in current usage - it's a narrow
gauge railway, not a miniature railway.

If it was built purely for leisure purposes, then what makes the
difference is, generally, the appearance.

A miniature railway is, essentially, a large outdoor model railway
that's big enough for people to ride on. A distinguishing feature is
that it makes at least some attempt to be a visual replica of a
full-size train, or, at least, a full size loco. These are a few good
examples:

https://www.railadvent.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/NRM-Miniature-Railway.jpg

https://media.dayoutwiththekids.co.uk/media/15309/33373-kerrs-miniature-railway-arbroath-04.jpg?mode=crop&width=1680&height=940

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/UWgUbSkmGJA/maxresdefault.jpg

https://www.railadvent.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/FR-Miniature-Railway-at-Tanybwlch.jpg

http://miniaturerailwayworld.co.uk/images/WeymouthBayMiniatureRailway.jpg

A narrow gauge railway, on the other hand, doesn't attempt to mimic
anything bigger than itself - it's just a small (sometimes, very small)
railway. Here are a few examples:

http://www.cheshirenow.co.uk/images_9/rdyd3.jpg

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-_OKbvaNYSms/UFd4PYxK5QI/AAAAAAAAEkI/xSESbCLTM-Q/s1600/IMG_3625.JPG

https://c8.alamy.com/comp/ECFA5D/the-kirklees-light-railway-15-inch-gauge-railway-in-kirklees-west-ECFA5D.jpg

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/vf0lBvPbyy8/maxresdefault.jpg

It's important to note here that track gauge alone is not the
distinguishing factor. Although miniature railways are, typically,
smaller than the smallest narrow gauge railways (you can get a ridable
model on as little as 5" gauge, which otherwise really is into model
railway territory), there is a lot of overlap. Although 15" gauge
(otherwise known as "minimum gauge") is generally considered the lower
limit of true railways (as opposed to models), there are a few examples
with track gauges smaller than that. The Wells and Walsingham Light
Railway, for example, has a track gauge of only 10.25", but is not in
any sense a model railway and hence not normally considered a miniature
railway:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wells_and_Walsingham_Light_Railway

Meanwhile, there are also plenty of miniature railways that use 15" (or
even larger) gauge, simply because there are lots of commercially
available products in that gauge. So gauge alone is not the deciding
feature, even though it is an indicative one.

 From a mapping perspective, therefore, there are two questions which
need to be asked:

1. Was the railway originally constructed purely for leisure purposes?

2. Are the locomotives intended to be models or replicas of full-size
locomotives (or are otherwise "faked", such as petrol-engined locos
designed to look like steam locos)?

If the answer to both questions is "yes", it's definitely a miniature
railway. If the answer to both are "no", then it definitely isn't.

Where it gets fuzzy is where the answers differ. The Romney, Hythe and
Dymchurch Railway, for example, has locomotives that are models (or, at
least, modelled on) full size steam locomotives. But it's considered a
narrow gauge railway, not a miniature railway, because, despite the
eccentricities of its creators, it was intended as a public service with
paying passengers and freight transport rather than merely as a leisure
operation.

 From a mapping perspective, you can't always answer the first question
from observation (although it can sometimes be inferred from the
topography - "fun" lines are usually continuous loops or out-and-back
layouts, while a point-to-point design - particularly a long one -
often indicates a formerly functional railway). The second is amenable
to observation, although you do need to know what you are looking for.
But unless it is obvious either way from observation, then the best
classification is whatever the operator calls it.

Mark