[Talk-GB] Miniature railway or minimum gauge?

Martin Wynne martin at templot.com
Tue May 21 13:15:00 UTC 2019

On 21/05/2019 12:18, Mark Goodge wrote:
>  From a mapping perspective, therefore, there are two questions which
> need to be asked:
>
> 1. Was the railway originally constructed purely for leisure purposes?
>
> 2. Are the locomotives intended to be models or replicas of full-size
> locomotives (or are otherwise "faked", such as petrol-engined locos
> designed to look like steam locos)?
>
> If the answer to both questions is "yes", it's definitely a miniature
> railway. If the answer to both are "no", then it definitely isn't.

There are several small-gauge railways which are essentially leisure
railways but which have been built or rebuilt on the trackbed of former
full-size working railways, so answering your Q.1 isn't always
straightforward.

Q.2 assumes that all the rolling-stock either is or isn't a replica of
full-size railways, when often it is a mixture of both.

I would suggest that a more useful mapping question would be

3. Does the small-gauge railway publish a public timetable?

If so, to my mind it is definitely a "Narrow-Gauge Railway", regardless
of the gauge or design of the rolling stock.

If not, it is probably better described as a "miniature" railway of some
sort.

The latter type can be further divided into

a. those which are essentially the preserve of model engineering
enthusiasts or clubs, where giving public rides is an occasional
fund-raising exercise, and for their own amusement they are just as
happy to run trains for themselves or friends:

  http://www.kinvermodelengineers.org.uk/images/50/20.jpg

My original example of the Rhiw Valley Light Railway also falls into
that category.

and

b. commercially operated seaside or park railways, where the object of
the exercise is to amuse the paying passengers rather than the
locomotive driver:

  https://www.pecorama.co.uk/trains/

These two types are quite distinct, and we do probably need some
separate tagging for them. But I'm not quite sure what? Perhaps the
miniature railway could have commercial=yes or no added?

I re-tagged the RVLR as narrow-gauge in line with the wiki page as it
then was, but I think perhaps I should now change it back.

Martin.